Reply To: LRUT Limitations

• Long Range Ultrasonics (GUL)

lucas

27/11/2021 at 10:25 pm

The mineral wool itself will not pose any problems to the Guided Wave Testing (GWT, it is no longer called LRUT) signal. You will have to open up the insulation and remove a length of 1m at each test point in order to install the test ring/transducer assembly depending on the type of equipment used.

The main limitations to the technique will be from external factors such as the condition of the line, number of large features such as elbows, flanges, vents and such that are present along the length of pipe to be tested and also the type of product in the line. The signal range achieved in the test will rely heavily on such variables.

You will no doubt receive a lot of feedback with regards to the type of test that you should perform and the frequency at which it is to be performed. That element is critical and I would suggest that you establish what works best for yourself and not simply listen to generalizations. Technician experience and equipment are the most critical points and will no doubt turn out to be your biggest limitation in performing the work.

Let me know if you have other questions. You can email me back for more information.